[P1] CDRW on Clamshell

Jason Bennett jpbennett at mac.com
Tue Dec 16 18:38:38 PST 2003

On 16-Dec-03, Paul Bernhardt wrote:

> I have a friend with a Clamshell iBook, Tangerine. So, it does not have
> Firewire. The question is: what is the best way to get a CDRW for him
> to make audio CDs via iTunes on it? I suspect that installing an
> internal drive CDRW that replaces the existing CDRom might be best. I
> also suspect that a USB (1.0) connected CDRW would be a bad idea.
> Comments, agreement with my assessment, other ideas?

Hi Paul,

Overall, I think you're best to consider replacing the internal CD-ROM
with a CD-RW for "portable convenience." I upgraded my own tangerine
this way about a year ago, and I'm very pleased with it. One issue to
keep in mind is that you have to "hack" the OS to recognize the
internal CD-RW for burning purposes. A site I highly recommend is
"Accelerate Your Mac" http://www.xlr8yourmac.com -- it's a great
resource for modifying Macs, including tips about modifying software,
etc.

One place that sells an in-house CD-RW upgrade service is Wegner Media
http://www.wegenermedia.com -- they'll take apart your computer,
install the new drive, and courier it back to you.

Also, check out eBay since I think you'll be able to find inexpensive
CD-RW units there. In my case, I purchased a UJDA330 CD-RW for my unit
on eBay a while back -- it was the one most often mentioned as a good
replacement. Just type in "ujda330" in the search box, and you'll see
the current listings.

Problem is, you have to do the replacement yourself, you will have to
do a little "surgery" to get the bezel cover from the original CD-ROM
to fit the new CD-RW (the original rarely fits exactly with other
units, requiring some creative work).

Good luck,

Jason