[P1] ibook, panther and 96MB RAM

Marc van Gemert listz at xs4all.nl
Wed Dec 17 03:23:40 PST 2003

e.mkeene wrote:

> Any computer trying to run Panther on 96MB RAM HAS TO CHUG. The fact it
> is even chugging is miraculous. It should just tell you to get lost
> instead.

hehe lol yeah I was surprised Panther even installed with so less RAM.
It only said that it couldn't install 'Essentials', but it's working fine.
Trying to install Panther was just a test, because I was running 9.2.2
before and that went fine with so less RAM. I bought this clamshell with
only 32MB installed, I had a 64MB DIMM lying around from a tray-loading
iMac so used that aswell. I use the clamshell for web browsing only at
the couch in my living room (via Airport), watching DVDs in bed and from
time to time I take the iBook with me to work or friends.  Ofcourse the
HD gets accessed a lot which slows down the browsing. But since Panther
is easy to work with I think I'm gonna stay with it.

>{Huge difference in behavior between Macs and PCs given awful
> working conditions   8? ) OS 9 on the clamshells chugged with only 96
> MBs of RAM. I know, I tried to use it to file online reports and it
> would take hours. As soon as I maxed the
> RAM to 160 (top possible at the time) it was a happy camper.
>
> How much you should invest in the laptop depends on your future plans
> for it and how long you will keep it. If you plan to run Panther on it,
> more RAM is an absolute requirement but don't get a small chip, get as
> much as you can afford, 256MB at a minimum and be sure to install the
> firmware upgrade before you install the extra RAM. Panther will work
> more happily on ac than with 96MB of ram.

I wanna max out the RAM so I'll be getting a 512MB DIMM soon!

> If you plan to keep the ibook for a year or two, RAM and a new battery
> (if you need portability) will be essential. Between the 2, given
> Panther in the mix, RAM is the most crucial purchase.

Yes I'm gonna keep the clamshell and get myself a battery and some RAM
(see above).

> If your primary use of the ibook is typing and a lot of mousing, the
> clamshell is still the gold standard for comfort. I have finally made
> peace with the icebook keyboard by using a PodiumPad to keep the
> pressure of the hard edge off my wrists. But using the trackpad a lot is
> really tough on the thumb and wrist with the icebooks and snowbooks,
> even the 14" doesn't change that much.

Yes I agree a friend of mine has a 12" 900MHz iBook and indeed is the
clamshell more comfortable while typing, and I like the Enter key
besides the space bar on the clamshell, first I had to get used to it,
but now I find myself hitting the right Apple key on my friends iBook
every time I want to 'enter' :-)

Marc

*
*