[P1] Airport problems

ShardAerithes at aol.com ShardAerithes at aol.com
Thu Dec 25 21:28:42 PST 2003

In a message dated 12/25/2003 11:36:20 PM Eastern Standard Time, beede at visi.com writes:

> Can you tell us a little more about your setup?  For instance, what
> connects
> you to your ISP (e.g., cable modem, DSL line)?  How is the Dlink
> connected
> to that (is it hooked to the uplink port)?  How are the other machines
> set
> up?  Did you change their setup?  What IP addresses are they using?
>
> You do *not* want to enable remote management on your router if that
> means
> people coming in from outside can get at it--it isn't clear
> if that's
> what
> you mean.
>
>    Mike Beede

I know i don't want to enable remote management for very long but I thought it might help. I have the WEP on 128 bit encryption too.

Ok my set up is this:

I have the surfboard cable modem hooked into the WAN port of the dlink. Theres also 4 ethernet ports for hardwiring computers to the router. I have my g4 on port one, my pentium 4 on port 2 and then a cord I use for my ibook on port 3. The objective is to get so I don't need to use port 3.

I had this very same set up with another router but it didn't have wireless capabilities so thats why I upgraded.

The pentium 4 and G4 worked right off the bat, all I had to do was swap the cables from the old router to the new one, plug it in and cycle the power on the modem and router.

The pentium 4 is using 192.168.0.103 and the g4 is 192.168.0.102 I expect. The ibook is 192.168.0.1
They change every time I cycle the power. I didn't change their setup except to renew their IP addresses.

I know my ibook isn't defective because it works on my sisters wireless network with a similar set up on a linksys router and it works at school on airport base stations. I borrowed a friends airport card before and put it in the g4 and that worked also on my ibook.

I live in the suburbs I doubt anyone will want to get at my router - still I will change it.

I can't find where the IP pool settings are but I don't see anything that would be limiting the number of computers on the network. Besides, I'm gettin an IP address. I tried setting that IP as a DMZ (demilitarized zone) but it didn't work still so I turned that off.

I tried to ping my ibook with my windows machine, but I did not get a reply. I got a reply from the router. I don't know how to ping the router from my ibook.

Even though I have remote management on I can't type 192.168.0.1 into my ibook and pull up the router. It's almost like the IP address is superficial and I don't really have one though it is there. I am so confused

Thanks for all the help