[P1] Hello?

Gene Merritt bsirius at earthlink.net
Sun Dec 28 17:50:28 PST 2003

On Dec 28, 2003, at 8:25 PM, mentholiptus wrote:

> I'm new to the list, I just signed up yesterday and have a few
> questions.
>
> What's up with this "logic board failure" stuff? Are there any happy
> recent iBook owners who haven't had any problems? It seems like
> everywhere I look, I'm hearing about deleted threads on the subject,
> class action lawsuits, etc...
>
> I'm asking because I have 2 on order that are to ship out
> tomorrow...and I'm beginning to question if I should cancel the order,
> or hope for the best.
>
> :¬)

Check out the posts on the Apple discussion site:

http://discussions.info.apple.com/WebX?13@7.S6SHarnxpNf.2@.eef6161

Look under LOGIC BOARD FAILURES, although some are listed in other
categories.

Now, this, as far as I know, pertains to the G3 iBooks (like mine).
And, in this case
it is pretty pervasive with 100s of G3 iBooks made in 2002 and after
being affected.

Also check out:

http://www.blackcider.com/

http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?story=20031224022940360#comments

Mine is still at Apple with a dead logic board and dead video sender,
and I
only bought the iBook 900 in Aug.

It seems as though they are just plain lemons! If I were you I would
stay away from them, at least for now. When mine comes back I will not
be able to trust it
to fully handle and store data. I will keep my external FW drive hooked
up to it
...which makes it relatively unportable! These iBooks seem to be full
of design
flaws, which Apple is not yet admitting. It's like buying a headache,
which is what I
now have.

But, really read some of those online comments...people are really not
happy with these machines.

Gene