[P1] Has anyone experienced excess fan use after updating to 10.3.2 or Battery update 1.1 ?

K Peex1 kpeex1 at cox.net
Tue Dec 30 15:03:57 PST 2003

On Dec 30, 2003, at 12:39 PM, Mark Kippert wrote:

> So it sounds like the fan issue is a result of the iBook being
> serviced and
> not due to the software updates (in subject line). Correct?

Hi,

Until today, I really never correlated it to the service trip. But it
makes sense now.

I have tried all the easy stuff, PRAM, permissions,... and it is not a
matter of "real" heat.... much cooler iBook than in the old days of
this summer when the left side got hot. I have a partitioned hard drive
and I have the luxury of being able to boot in 9.2.2, 10.2.8, and
10.3.2. The fan is on.

I really despise fans. My desktop is a fanless Cube with a quiet hard
drive. That said, the iBook's fan is not all _that_ annoying. Put it in
the category of, "I wish it wasn't running, but it's not that big of a
deal." My battery life says 5 hours and it doesn't seem to be very far
off that, although I haven't timed it. I also use Airport and have the
stray voltage on metal parts as mentioned by the Macintouch post.

HTH,
Kevin