iMovie review

Jack Rodgers jackrodgers at earthlink.net
Sun Feb 2 06:14:48 PST 2003

The new iMovie is now a window and doesn't take over the entire screen.
On my 15" tiBook it takes about 3/4 of the screen and of course I can
see what is behind the iMovie window.

Now that iMovie has a moveable window,  you can drag and drop clips
into the iMovie window! When you drag and drop a clip from another
project, it 'imports' the file by creating a new copy of the file in
your project folder. Final Cut uses aliases in its browser and you can
'open' files on any drive or a folder full of files. Maybe in the
future iMovie will add a similar feature but for now it is designed to
protect the interests of the amateur by having all files project in one
media folder.

The iMovie project window has been visually updated.

A new section has been added for photos and is tied to your iPhoto
database. You have instant access to those photos and you can either
import or drag and drop a photo from your hard drive. If you do import
or drag and drop, iMovie will immediately begin apply a 'Ken Burns
Effect' which is a zooming into the photo and looks really bad on a LCD
monitor but not so bad on a CRT monitor.

iPhoto 2 has a new button layout but still retains the confusion of the
word 'import' using it for both downloading from a camera via the
import button and from files on your hard drive via the File/Import...
menu item. A somewhat confusing situation. Both options should be
presented together so the user can choose the appropriate one.

I found that iMovie did not notice my import into iPhoto while the
iMovie window was open. After I closed  and reopened iMovie my new
iPhotos appeared in the iMovie 'Photos' option.

You can preview the Ken Burns Effect on any of your photos by clicking
on one and then adjusting the sliders. When you drag the photo to the
time line, your settings are immediately applied to the imported photo
and it is resized to the standard size for dv movies. The image doesn't
appear to be as sharp as FCE or FCP produces. The KBE causes the images
to glitter on my LCD and the amount of glitter varies with the
settings. You won't notice this on a crt monitor.

The KBE seems required if you import a photo and I can't find a what to
get rid of it. This seems rather arbitrary as the effect is annoying if
you are forced to use it rather that a wonderful tool if it is optional.

Another important fact is that when iMovie imports the photo it does
not reduce the size of the photo but creates a new copy in the project
folder that is the same size as the original. When I exported it as a
DV file, it reduced the size of the image to the DV format but the
quality was poor. Final Cut Express does a better job. I also
encountered a few bugs.

Enough for now. I am sure you will enjoy using the iApps. They do make
it easy...

---
Lobate Black Scale -- A Photo Essay By Jack Rodgers
http://www.jackrodgers.com