[P1] How Often Does Jag need a reinstall?

david davidwb at spymac.com
Sun Feb 2 11:37:14 PST 2003

On 1/22/03 3:39 PM, "Pat D. Stephens" <patdart at cox-internet.com> wrote:

> I don't understand that, can you explain?
>
> Oh, maybe Jaguar is newer than I knew.
>
> Thanks for the info.
>
> Pat
> On Wednesday, January 22, 2003, at 02:21 PM, david wrote:
>
>> So far the worst problem I¹ve created for myself in OS X was solved by
>> creating a new account and transferring my data to the new account.

Strange...I¹ve gotten about 5 iBook messages sent 1-2 weeks ago. Anyone else
seeing this?

To answer Pat, I tend to live on the edge since I am involved in tech
support. I¹ve installed a few things and played with the console (which
isn¹t necessary but quite interesting) and sometimes I¹ve made a hash of
things. So on occasion I¹ve found myself with a seemingly unstable system.

Now what many of us have found is that is that OS X - like our old friends
OS 8 and OS 9 - is sensitive to preference corruption. If I suddenly begin
to see odd behavior from my Mac, I log out of my user account and into root.
If I no longer see the odd behavior I can be pretty certain the problem is
in a preference file or an application that autoruns when I log in.

Now I am rather lazy so if I cannot quickly figure out which pref file is
causing the problem, I¹ll just create a new user account and then copy all
my data to that new account. But not the prefs files. (Well, not many of
them.) If all goes well then I know I didn¹t copy the offending pref and I
go on with life.

david

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by frost.

davidwb at spymac.com