OT: security issues with wifi (was: anyone know any good call by call dialup ISPs in California?)

Richard McKay richard.mckay1 at virgin.net
Sun Feb 2 16:34:53 PST 2003

Jack Rodgers wrote the following:

> However, one might wonder about government sponsored free wifi (and
> just where are the Libertarians on this issue? Do you really want a
> government having free access to your surfing habits, email and
> possibly your entire computer?
>
> I doubt the citizens of China are too comfortable with the government
> looking over their shoulder, nor the Koreans, Iraqis and Californians

Sorry to tell you this Jack, but even with PGP keys, 128 encoding and other
security measures you are still a glass house to those that *really* want to
know what your habits are or what you are sending...the only difference is
that we are *led to believe* that we have the freedom of choice and *can*
protect ourselves...

(N)ever wonder why encoding of greater than 128 is not available to the
public? ask the US Gov. They made sure that they can still track you and
your data because there is not strong enough encryption available to the
public, whether they do is another story... You can also mask IP's 'till the
cows come home but if they want to they can still trace anything you are
doing..it only becomes an exercise in levels of difficulty and desire...

Besides the wifi is only slightly different than the standard cable you are
using...the transmission is by different means but the information is still
being sent from A to B...and therefore potentially available for access...

Richard (just checking the last padlock on the door paranoid) McKay