[P1] Web Cam for iBook...More Questions!

Peter Nacken caipirina at mac.com
Tue Feb 11 14:28:42 PST 2003

on 2/8/03 11:52 PM, Joe at jabeleda at nbn.net wrote:

> Thanks to everyone for their input, she is now able to use her web cam
> successfully with Yahoo IM with ioXperts USB Cam driver, and make
> Quicktime  movies with Macam!   Now another question has arisen. How do
> you make a minute or two movie (over 200mb) into a web manageable size,
> maybe 2 to 5 mb.? I believe she has Quicktime Pro 6.2 if that helps...
>
> TIA!

Hey Joe, while it is a bit off-topic, I am glad when I can help a bit
(instead of just asking OT stuff myself all the time) ..

The whole business of video compression (what she is basically looking for)
is a science for itself and there are no "ideal settings" or methods, since
every movie clip is different, the audience / connection and such is
different ... I had a client who wanted a 3 minute film, playing in full
screen / DVD quality in as an intro for his website, but it should not load
to long .. Ha ha ha

Ok .. But as to what you friend can do ... Open the 200 MB file in QT Pro
(needs to be Pro!) and select export .. There select "movie to DV stream"
(this is a format that can be edited in iMovie, which should be on every new
mac) ... She can then import this new file into iMovie OR (a trick I learnt
on this list, I think thanks to the Chasm-man) create a project in iMovie,
quit iMovie again, locate the folder of that new project and drag and drop
your DV file there in the media folder ... Open the project again, and
tadaa, the file is there ...

Now .. In iMovie she selects "export to quicktime"  .. And there are many
different settings .. She shall just try to play with them ... But a 1
minute file should be squeezable into 1.5 MB ...

If one day she is getting more serious about that ... Try Media Cleaner ..
Nice tool .. But steeper learning curve

Hope that helps