[P1] 10.2.3 SUCKS! NOT!!!

Guy McMickle fierose8608 at fuse.net
Wed Feb 12 07:26:56 PST 2003

On Tuesday, February 11, 2003, at 12:38  PM, Zoki wrote:

> ** Care to share the information with us so we don't die stupid?
> What's the
> bug Apple knows about and I (we) don't? What's the hardware you use
> (model?)?

I can't find the reply to my original post which led me to the apple
discussion board discussing this problem.  I believe it was Charles
Martin which send me the URL.  Anyway, there is a bug in the system
that affects laptops.  It's a bug that causes a kernel panic when you
log out.  From reading the posts on the apple discussion board, people
seem to have narrowed it down to a problem with mouse settings in the
.GlobalPreferences.plist file.  It seems that on certain hardware,
mostly laptops, this file becomes corrupted and causes crashes.  The
workaround was to delete this prefs file and lock the new one so that
it couldn't be corrupted again.  The problem is, you are forced to use
default trackpad and mouse settings, which suck...and whenever you
restart, the locked file has to be re-locked.  I personally didn't feel
like dealing with all that hassle, so I reverted back to 10.2.2.  The
kernel panics are gone now.  I'm not certain whether or not Apple has
issued a "statement" regarding this bug, but the people on the
discussion board have certainly brought it to their attention.  The
hardware I am using is an iBook 500, 10GB, DVD, with 640MB RAM.  The
machine was bout roughly 16 months ago.  I wasn't just complaining for
the sake of it.  I've used Mac's since I was 10 years old (about 13
years now), and I've always liked them.  I'm just getting tired of
"fighting" the PC world and tired of system "updates" that really
aren't.  Hopefully this clears up what you wanted to know.

-Guy McMickle