[P1] moving iPhoto Library

Brian Olesky brian4 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Feb 13 13:30:31 PST 2003

> Does anyone know of a way to change the location that iPhoto looks to
>>> for
>>> your iPhoto Library?
>>
>> I use an application called iPhoto Library Manager to switch between
>> two libraries I have set up. There are other programs that provide the
>> same basic functionality; look for them under "iPhoto" on Version
>> Tracker.
>> BRIAN/bpearce at cloud9.net
> I read  this just the other day and sent myself an email
> from http://www.macosxhints.com/
>
>> I was trying to get my iPhoto library folder onto my removable hard
>> drive. I read some suggestions to use symlinks and such, but I think I
>> found an easier way. This is how I did it:
>> Make a backup of your photos and make sure iPhoto is not running.
>>
>> Go into your home directory and into your Pictures folder.
>>
>> Delete your library folder.(No worries, you just backed it up, right?)
>>
>> Start iPhoto. It will say you don't have a library folder and give you
>> a few choices, one of them being choose where you would like it to be
>> created.
>> That's about it. It's not the fanciest way to do it but it worked.
>> This was with iPhoto 2; I haven't tried it on the earlier version.

I think, with the new iPhoto 2, it's actually even easier than this. I
believe all you have to do is quit iPhoto, rename your current library
folder in the finder, reopen iPhoto, click create library, name it, choose a
location, click save and that's it. If memory serves me right, I think I
found this while poking around in iPhoto 2's Help folder just after I
downloaded it.

Brian