[P1] New Jag & Printer driver

Mark Kippert maclists at kippert.com
Sun Feb 16 21:17:38 PST 2003

Ally Maddox on 2/16/03 9:36 PM wrote:

> When I went to install it, the instructions said to go through the
> system prefs>Software update>update now. And I had to be online for
> that. I've never had to install something like that before, but I
> figured it must be some new fangled thing...
> So now my question is, if I downloaded it, and it's in there (somewhere)
> how do I find it on my machine? How do I go about installing it correctly?

Software update has been around since OS9. As for having to be online, Apple
made the updating processes simpler for the average person. Software Update
check online with Apple to see if you have the latest version. When it finds
something new, it allows you to update.

Software update downloads what it needs, does the install, and then deletes.
This prevents your drive from becoming cluttered with huge, unneeded files.

If you go to the trouble of downloading the updates and then run Software
Updater, you're actually downloading twice, hence the painfully long time
online.

Also, I don't see hwy you're so surprised that the updates take so long to
download. Heck, the size of the updates alone are equivalent to the size of
the hard drives that cam in The LC series of Macs. These take hours to
download on a dialup. If at all possible, try finding a broadband
connection. Maybe at work, or a friends, or the Apple Store, or a coffee
shop (I hear Starbucks is offering access in a lot of locations now).

-Mark