[P1] Friend has a "slow" iBook...

Jack Rodgers jackrodgers at earthlink.net
Thu Feb 20 15:37:37 PST 2003

>> " so i have a pc desktop and an ibook. my ibook is 800 mghz. havnt
>> upgraded the ram past 256 yet. got it just in early december. i cant
>> help but to say...this thing isnt very fast. when i click on the hard
>> drive it takes a couple seconds to even open...etc etc. im thinking
>> of upgrading to a g4 powerbook. but damn this thing should be running
>> faster..any suggestions on how to speed it up through OS settings?

Diskwarrior will rebuild your directory and also optimize the drive. It
is amazing how much this improves performance.

You can also run Repair Disk Permissions and Repair Disk in the Disk
Utility. You'll have to boot off the CD or another drive to run Repair
Disk.

Also fsck helps.

This Unix business installs and deletes so many files that the
directory gets a bit buggy and the files scattered all over the place.

---
jackrodgers at earthlink.net
http://www.jackrodgers.com