[P1] Using a Mac in a Windows office

good-dog at northshore.net good-dog at northshore.net
Sat Feb 22 06:48:43 PST 2003

On Saturday, February 22, 2003, at 05:34 AM, Charles Martin wrote:

>> We both are Mac hounds and she has a new iMac set up with
>> Virtual PC.  I contend she can do everything on her Mac and can ditch
>> the laptop she normally works.
>
> Unless she plays a lot of 3D games on that laptop, you are probably
> right.

She'll be playing a new Windows 3-D Game:  Dell into Dumpster

>>   However, we just don't know how to rig
>> it so she can interface seamlessly with her Windows neighbors.
>
> If she's on Mac OS X (10.2 or higher), there's not a lot to do. She
> should be able to plug right into the network and share printers and
> files with the same ease (actually MORE ease) than if she were using a
> PC. No VirtualPC necessary. Now if they're on some kind of funky
> network groupware thing like Novell or Citrix, she'll need Mac clients
> for those, but for plain-jane Windows networks she should be
> plug-n-play.

I'm assuming, then, that if she has a Mac OS X version of Office she
can write Excel documents and send them to her Windows cohorts, and her
Windows cohorts can send her Excel documents and she can read them no
problem.  What about being able to access the network and work on
documents, you know, opening them, changing them, saving them? From
what you say, this should be easy.

Since writing this initial message, there's an outside chance I could
work on a mac at work, too.  This would resolve many things, including
the LCD vs CRT issue I've mentioned before.  We work on a Novel network
with an ever increasing MS products line.  Who knows, the way things
are going, the server would well become Windows.  Our email system is
Groupwise.  Familiar with it?  I'm going to pitch my idea about me
using a Mac (iMac with the fastest processor and most memory it can
come with) for various Sales Dept. duties involving graphics and
managing graphics as they transition themselves into the hands of the
OS X Un-friendly Communications Dept (read Graphics).

Based on what you say, I'd be running VPC 6.  My only concern is if VPC
would run fast enough on a high end iMac to be usable in everyday
Windows activities since we are on Novell.

> Oh, and if she really wants to fit in to that Windows group, she'd
> probably better download a copy of Solitaire. :)

I'll tell her about this strategy.  If they see her playing Solitaire
on the iMac, maybe they'll think she's really on a PC.  Many people at
her work aren't the swiftest ever hatched.

Thanks.

Mark