[P1] Ttly OT: Fiji exercises internet censorship !!!

Peter Nacken caipirina at mac.com
Sat Feb 22 18:01:29 PST 2003

on 2/23/03 10:08 AM, Charles Martin at chasm at mac.com wrote:

> The solution to the problem in your case is to lobby the gov't of Fiji
> and the gov't of the country where Fintel is located (I'm not much up
> on South Pacific geography, but at a guess -- New Zealand?) to disallow
> the monopoly.

AFAIK Fintel is owned and/or protected by the fiji government .. They are a
fijian company ... The fiji gov't right now focuses more on issues like
water and electricity :)

To top that off, the minister of finance has now also received that hat as
minister of information technologies ... And .. He is my direct neighbor !!
(not that I ever see him actually living in his house ... )

>  FWIW, it seems like Tonga (which is close to Fiji IIRC)
> has a much better internet deal going. Maybe you should investigate to
> see if there's a better model there.

Yes, I keep hearing that about Tonga .. Internet, phonecalls and such are
much cheaper and better available ..