[P1] Airport Set up Question

Mike Beede beede at visi.com
Mon Feb 24 05:25:29 PST 2003

On Sunday, Feb 23, 2003, at 23:34 US/Central, Charles Martin wrote:

>> From: Thomas D. Kearns <thomas.d.kearns at verizon.net>
>> My set up:  Verizon DSL Modem to Hub to Airport (iMac also hooked to
>> Hub).
>> My iBook (OS 9.0.4) sees the Airport but I can't get the internet.
>
> The Airport is itself a router. The problem is your hub (which is NOT
> a router).

Shouldn't make a difference.  So long as you don't have too many
hubs in a row (I think the number is four), you can just plug
everything together and have an old-style shared segment.  This is
kind of simple-minded, but is the modem plugged into the right
port on the Airport?  If it's backwards, it won't be able to
configure itself using DHCP even if the modem supports it (and
it should).   The thing that prevented me from getting my cable
modem working was that I needed to register the MAC address of
the router (not an Airport in my case) with the phone folks.
Actually my router has a feature that allows me to set the MAC
address, so I set the address that points out of the house to
be the same as the iBook.  Since they'll never be on the same
segment, this doesn't pose a problem.

And by all means try Chas' advice.  Networking hardware always
suprises me when I think I understand just what's going on....

Regards,

	Mike