[P1] Ibook hd question

Mark Kippert maclists at kippert.com
Tue Feb 25 14:38:39 PST 2003

david on 2/25/03 1:11 PM wrote:

> check out: <http://caslis.com/mac/ibook/ibdrive.html> for doing the
> clamshell iBook
>
> Several years ago I rescued a friend who got about 30 minutes into his
> hard drive upgrade and chickened out. I finished it and while I¹ve been
> doing this kind of thing since 1978 (no, really, 1978. I built an
> Altair) this was the most nerve wracking finger scraping upgrade I¹ve
> ever done. A couple months later I decided my tangerine needed
> upgrading so I let MCE do it. Great service and a decent price. I
> highly recommend them for out of warranty PowerBook repairs.

I've heard it's not easy and if it's anything like swapping the drive in the
iceBook, you're looking at a 3 hour job. I've done it three times and it
doesn't seem to get any faster.

One tip I'd like to suggest. It seems like no two screws are alike inside so
DON'T mix them up. Print out the instructions at the link showing the iBook
at different stages. Then as you remove a screw just poke it through picture
at the corresponding point. It makes the process so much easier.

-Mark