[P1] connection program

Mike Beede beede at visi.com
Thu Feb 27 17:04:25 PST 2003

On Thursday, Feb 27, 2003, at 06:42 US/Central, Bruce Wood wrote:

> As a backup to email, I occasionally need to be able to transmit text
> files (not attachments) to a remote computer at work. In the old days
> I used MacTerm, then the AppleWorks connection capability. Can anyone
> recommend a freeware (or inexpensive shareware) program that will
> allow me to send text to the remote modem at work (which blazes along
> at 2400)? Thanks.

Do you want to transmit the files reliably?  If so, you need something
that runs an actual protocol instead of just squirting the files
around.  Kermit is supposed to run on OS X.  You can find a binary
here at <http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/ck80binaries.html> as the link
called <cku206.macosx102nc-10.2>.  You'll need Kermit on the target
machine, too.  It will transfer files very reliably if it works at
all....
I have not tried running Kermit on Jaguar, since I don't have anything
to connect to over a serial line.  If the machine that's the target is
a Unix box, it probably has Kermit as well as stand-alone xmodem and
zmodem.

There's something called MacWise available as a demo from Apple that
does
terminal emulation.  It might do file transfers, too.  Don't know what
protocols it uses.

If you have any kind of network connection, you could use FTP or
something
like that.  I suppose you know that, but thought I'd mention it in case
you didn't.  Good luck.

Regards,

	Mike