battery

Ian Sidle macmouse4 at attbi.com
Fri Feb 28 23:19:34 PST 2003

> Can someone direct me to a good info source on batteries? I have an
> iBook 600 and don't know how to take care of the battery for long life.
> A good source for general maintenance would be nice too.

Well there really isn't any (or a need for any). All of the ibook
batteries are lithium-ion which all have no "memory" effect. I.E. you
don't have to drain and recharge the batteries every few uses like you
had to with nicd/nimd. From experiences and some "rumor/rants" on pages
out there, some say it is better to have li-ion batteries topped of
(plugged in whenever possible) instead of waiting for the battery to go
all the way out. Some say it could actually cause damage while others
say it is just fine. My feeling is at a mid-point (from experience with
my ibook battery) is draining it all the way won't "hurt" it but it
will give it less life, because the battery has been ran more not
because the voltage has dropped.

I hope this all makes sense!
Or simply - don't worry about it, you will be fine.

thanks,
Ian Sidle