[P1] Icebook dvd regionfree ???

George Slusher gslusher at rio.com
Thu Jan 2 00:06:16 PST 2003

>I bet this topic has been discussed in one form or the other, but I cannot
>find it in my archives ..
>
>I am also aware that some may say that this topic is somewhat of a
>shady-legal issue .. But I wonder how legal this stupid friggin regioncode
>on DVDs is anyway ... It does not hold back pirates and it just annoys
>normal people who happen to move around a lot ...
>
>Has anyone here SUCCESSfully "upgraded" their icebook 500 mhz (first icebook
>that came out) to accept all regions ?? If so .. Is there a website with
>helpful hints ? I recall having read some stuff about that issue .. That in
>many cases it is a firmware update that can potentially render your dvd
>drive useless ... The last time I checked there was nothing out for the
>icebook (or my G4 imac) .. But maybe that has changed ..
>
>Thanks a lot

As far as I can find out, the region coding is legal.

Try this site:

http://www.wormintheapple.gr/macdvd/index.html

Be sure to read their FAQ and other warnings. There may be good reasons
not to do this. I have read that some DVDs will not play on region-free
players, for example.

George Slusher/Eugene, OR
gslusher at rio.com