[P1] Photoshop LE vs Photoshop Elements

George Slusher gslusher at rio.com
Sat Jan 4 05:10:48 PST 2003

>Can anyone tell me please, what is the difference btwn Photoshop LE 5.0 and
>Photoshop Elements? I know Elements will run natively in OS X which I'm
>using. But other than that, what else is there? I thank you in advance.

>Murray E. Milligan,
>Winnipeg, Canada

Photoshop LE is a "condensed" version of Photoshop (PS). It has the same
interface and structure, but lacks some of the features of the full PS.
It commonly comes with (or, rather, used to come with) scanners and some
printers. I think that I have a copy of Photoshop LE 5.0 somewhere, but
I'd have to install it and check it out to tell the differences between
it and the full PS, and I'd be comparing it to PS 6, in any case.

I *think* (someone correct me if I'm wrong) that PS LE 5.0 was the last
"LE" version Adobe produced. More recently, they have produced Photoshop
Elements, now in 2.0. I don't remember if Adobe ever sold PS LE
directly--I don't think so. In that sense, it may be irrelevant for you
unless you already have it or can get it second-hand. (Selling PS LE
second-hand may be a technical violation of the user agreemen. That may
require keeping the software with the scanner or printer--usually a
scanner--that it was bundled with.)

I bought PS Elements at Costco for $79.99 minus a $30 rebate, net $49.99.
MacZone has it for a net of $89.99 after rebate. I bought it as a gift,
but am really tempted to keep it! I also got a neat book, "Photoshop
Elements 2 Solutions: The Art of Digital Photography," by Mikkel Aaland,
to go with the program as a gift. The book seems to be excellent and
comes with a CD with tutorials, demos of several plug-ins, etc. From that
book (my comments are indicated by []):

"For a program that is a fraction of the cost of the world's leading
image-editing program you'd expect it to have a lot fewer features,
right? Wrong. Not only does Photoshop Elements include many powerful
Photoshop tools and features, it actually contains some very useful
features that are not included even in the latest version of Photoshop.
These features include:

*  A Photomerge command that seamlessly blends multiple images together
to create stunning panoramics and composites.

*  Online help that quickly tells you just about everything you need to
know about tools and commands.

*  Visual cues of the results of different filters and effects so that
you can see what you'll get before applying the effect. [Actually, a lot
of PS plug-ins do this.]

*  Round-trip animated GIF capabilities so you can open an animated GI
and have access to all the frames as layers. [This is neat, as it lets
you see one frame on top of the other, to see how they change. PS doesn't
do that and isn't really a very good animation tool by itself.]

*  A PDF slidemaker, so that you can create slide shows viewable on any
platform and even on PDAs.

Of course, Photoshop Elements is lacking some of the high-end features
fond in Photoshop. For example, Photoshop Elements doesn't give you the
ability to work on separate color channels, and you can't work in the
prepress CMYK mode. [That's VERY valuable for pros who will be sending
images to a printing shop, but not of much use for most of us.] But
you'll see througout the book that when a Photoshop feature is missing
from Photoshop Elements, I've often included a simple workaround."

PS Elements does support many PS plug-ins, of which there are a
multitude. Some of the more interesting ones are Alien Skin's "Eye Candy"
and Corel's KPT (Kai's Photoshop Tricks) series. More useful plug-ins
include Boxtop Software's PhotoGIF and JPEGPro.

If you already have Photoshop 5.0 LE, you may want to keep it, though I
don't know if it works in Classic mode under OS X. Otherwise, I'd
recommend Photoshop Elements rather than getting Photoshop 5.0 LE.

OTOH, there are other programs that cost even less and do about as much,
though not some of the fancier tricks. Microfrontier's Color It!, for
example, works very well in OS 9 and is much easier to use and requires
much less memory and HD space than any Adobe product. Their Enhance adds
in layers and some other functions for about the same price as PS
Elements. Both programs can use some Photoshop plug-ins. Neither runs
natively in OS X, though. Microfrontier also has Digital Darkroom, which
is very cheap and easy to use.

George Slusher/Eugene, OR
gslusher at rio.com