[P1] self-quotes

John Paul Moore JohnPaulMoore at austin.rr.com
Sat Jan 4 09:26:47 PST 2003

At 10:38 AM -0600 1/4/03, Eric B. Richardson wrote:

>Finally, prior to this 'chicken hawk' had intimations of a pedophile,
>and using such language towards the president and his cabinet is
>shameful and reprehensible. The people that coined this term knew
>what they were doing and now you do too. Hopefully, now that you do,
>you will stop.

Although this whole thread is way OT, I cannot let this go unchallenged. It
is by no means "shameful" and definitely not "reprehensible" to call the
president and any of the cabinet by whatever name fits, and for those who
are now advocating war but who managed conveniently to dodge their duty as
Americans during Vietnam, "chickenhawk" is a very good fit indeed. This is
not shameful behavior; it is instead in the proudest tradition of American
Democracy, a tradition some of us wore uniforms to defend, to call a spade
a soiled shovel. I wonder if those who now insist we dishonor the office of
President with our criticism said the same when Bill Clinton served as the
most effective President in our lifetime. And of course all this goes
without saying that Clinton, unlike the current occupant of the White
House, was elected by popular vote of the American people.