Iraq, self-quotes, politics et al

Jon and Cath Wever cathnjon at optusnet.com.au
Sun Jan 5 17:49:35 PST 2003

> On Sunday, January 5, 2003, at 05:50  PM, Charles Martin wrote:
>
>> May I suggest an easy way is for most of us to simply killfile Jack? I
>> did and it's stopped me getting involved in probably dozens of OT
>> discussions he seems to love to either start or seize on.
>
> Once again after not contributing to the list for a while, Charlie the
> comic strip pirate, shows up with another little flame.
>
> This is the man so many have spoken out against for the attacks he has
> made against people and whom I have devoted so much effort into helping
> him clean up his act...
>
>> You might also consider killfiling Eric. I haven't done so yet but am
>> about to, with regret.
>
> And now he has appointed himself the moral guardian. Should we kill
> file people who lie and who post pirate comic strips in their blog
> while chastising others, incorrectly, for being software pirates...
>
> Come on Charlie, relax...
>
> ---

People, can I remind you that we are members of a list populated not just by
US citizens? This discussion is largely irrelevant to those of us who don't
live in your country. I don't feel that it would be appropriate to engage
other Australians on this list in a public discussion of our political
system's strengths or weaknesses. It has no place in this forum.

And I'm getting tired of the Jack vs. Charles competition thing too - I've
read useful posts from both men but this is getting out of hand.
"Kill-filing" a list member's posts is not the answer. Why should any of us
have to do that? A more tolerant approach is needed by all.

I'd really ask that we take a step back and have a look at where this
community is moving. Could I make a plea that the irrelevancies be taken
into a private forum - how about you use iChat? There's a (tenuous) link
back to the topic of the list...

Anyway, I just had to say something. Has anyone else taken the time to look
over the last few days and calculate the on-topic to off-topic post ratio?
It doesn¹t look good.

And I know my AUD$0.02 are worth about 1c US so I apologise for the less
valuable contribution.

Cheers,
Jon Wever

PS Macworld kicks off in a less than 48 hours - can't we be interested in
that???? Lets have some juicy, on-topic rumours... Or something...