[P1] Overseas friend has a problem..

Brian Pearce bpearce at cloud9.net
Mon Jan 6 06:38:25 PST 2003

> "'m using a 700 iBook, with an airport card, i'm hooked up in a hotel
> room via internal modem dialup (AOL), i'm trying to create a wireless
> network so that the others folks in the room can be online at the same
> time (we're on tour -The Get Up Kids- in Germany). The other laptop in
> question is a PC, he can see my signal, but the MAC address of my
> computer keeps changing every ten seconds, so he can't log onto the
> network i've created. How do i create a static address so that he can
> log onto the network? Any help you can offer would be great! "

I've never heard of *this* measure of security...a constantly changing
MAC address? (For those of you not familiar with the term, it refers to
an individual sort of serial number built-in to a piece of networking
hardware; in this case, the iBook, the AirPort card, and the PC each
have one. I forget what "MAC" stands for, but it isn't specific to the
Macintosh platform.)

Make sure the iBook is set up as a Software Base Station (in OS 9), or
"Allow this computer to create networks" (in AirPort, in System
Preferences under "Network" in OS X). You can probably turn encryption
off if you don't plan to do anything too security-sensitive. Make sure
you're not doing anything to exclude computers by their MAC address. If
you've given your network a name, use that to log on.

Hope this is of some help!
BRIAN/bpearce at cloud9.net