[P1] iBook Hypothetical

david davidwb at spymac.com
Mon Jan 6 07:04:17 PST 2003

On 1/6/03 9:05 AM, "Eric B. Richardson" <lbyron at comcast.net> wrote:

> At 3:01 PM -0500 1/5/03, Charles Martin wrote:
>>>  On an ice book, for example, would it make any sense to use a
>>> partitioned disk with OS9.2 installed on one half (complete system) and OSX
>>> installed on the other half (complete system)?  Does such a plan make sense?
>>> I realize that a good-sized hard disk is necessary for that.
>>>
>> You could, but it's a lot of wasted space IMHO, and you run the risk
>> of running out of space in the X partition in the not-too-distant
>> future as you find you use OS X more and more and OS 9 less and less.
>>
>> Unless you have a specific reason for partitioning (like audio/video
>> work), it's probably best to just leave it as Apple sets it -- one
>> partition for both.
>
> I use a G3 266 desktop, upgraded to a 450MHz G4, as well as my
> icebook. In this case, I believe there is some firmware issue that
> requires me to have the first partition where OSX resides be 8 GB or
> less and then the other partitions don't matter, including if I want
> to boot OS 9 off another partition. But that first 8 Gigs is an
> essential partition and putting the system and some apps on it eats
> up a little less than half. Partitioning becomes essential for us
> folk.
>
> But you are right about the icebook, I think.

Yes, I too had a souped up beige G3 for a while and it wasn't any problem
because I had a 6 gig drive (as well as a 30 gig drive). However, I think I
remember reading that a subsequent update to OS X has changed that. Could be
wrong, I've stopped paying attention to older machines since my clients and
I all have newer machines now.

My experience with partitions and looking for the ads/disads comes from that
beige machine as well as a second gen iBook and a snow iMac.

david
All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by frost.

davidwb at spymac.com