Mac.com

Charles Martin chasm at mac.com
Tue Jan 7 01:45:10 PST 2003

> From: Ally Maddox <almenter at madisontelco.com>
>
> Thank you, Charles, for all that info. Explain further about the
> various
> points you listed. Free software, Kodak prints, free web space. Will
> this cost $99 when the second year renewal comes around? Is the first
> year still $49?

Answered in reverse order:

1. No, the $49/year deal expired already. It's $99 now. Worth it to
some people, I'm sure, but not most people. Yet, and the key word is
YET.

2. It's expected to cost $99 for the second year, but by then we should
have some reason to justify that. Rumour has it that Apple will include
FREE iApp upgrades in the cost of .Mac, along with other new features
(like the one I just tried out tonight ... more on that in a sec).

IF they do that (roll iApp upgrades into the cost of .Mac) that would
be a BRILLIANT move and would surely send thousands of people scurrying
back to sign up. It would be WELL worth the $99 bucks at that point for
many.

3. The benefits I got from signing up with .Mac included (but are not
limited to):
a. A free copy of Alchemy Deluxe, a very nice game from Popcap.
b. A new Apple utility called Backup, which allows me to backup my user
info (and other stuff) to my .Mac web space (EXTREMELY handy -- offsite
backup is a very-overlooked feature), as well as do "normal" backups to
CD-R or DVD-R. It's got a long way to go to beat Retrospect, but it's
pretty good in and of itself.

I also got a "free" copy of Virex, which I consider practically useless
as there ARE no known viruses for Mac OS X -- but hey that could change
I suppose.

I can publish my iCal calendars to the web if I want to (and I do --
see my sig below). I can use iSync (another new Apple utility) to
synchronise my iCal and Address Book to my cellphone (if it's the type
that can do that), my PDA (if it's Palm-compatible) and my iPod (if I
had one). As of today, I can also sync my Address Book (email)
addresses with mac.com's online email client. IOW, when I log into to
Apple's web page and check my mail using webmail (which I do anytime
I'm away from my own computer), I can still have my "contacts" right
there waiting for me. Cool.

I have 100 MB of web space to use as I choose (to some extent, anyway).
iPhoto will easily publish a home page out of my (selected) photos with
just the press of a button. And I get to keep my long-standing mac.com
email address.

Oh yes, the free Kodak prints were nice too. Just select photos in
iPhoto, order prints online and the charge is reversed up to the limit
of your credit.

There are a couple of other (minor) "benefits" to .Mac (like publishing
your slides as a slideshow online), but most people wouldn't even know
about that. All in all, it's been well worth the $49 for me. If I had
had to pony up $99, I would have thought long and hard about how much
of the services I was going to use.

As I say, if Apple does do something brilliant like bundle the iApp
upgrades (or even paid system upgrades) into the cost of .Mac, I am
definitely there for Year Two.

_Chas_
Come to  ... The CHASbah!
http://thechasbah.blogspot.com