[P1] Needed Programs???????

Allan Hise allan at hise.org
Wed Jan 8 05:59:05 PST 2003

On Wed, 8 Jan 2003, Charles Martin wrote:

> Honestly, you really don't NEED a virus program at all. There hasn't
> been a destructive *widespread* Mac virus in donkey's years. An ice age
> in computer terms.
>
> However, that could change at any time of course. And the peace of mind
> has to be worth something. Before I got Virex as part of .Mac, the only
> anti-virus I *ever* ran was that Sevendust thing and Disinfectant. They
> once stopped a virus -- I think this was about 1995 or so.

Remember back in the day when a virus program would actually stop and/or
alert you of suspicuous activity? Now they are just band-aids for cleaning
up after known viruses. No known OS X viruses, why bother. Virus SW won't
catch it if it doesn't knwo about it.

Give me preventitive medicine and maybe I'll install it. Then again, my
preventitive medicine is being careful about what I install.

Which brings me to the near-worm behavior of the Safari and iSync .dmg
files. What's up with that self-copying and deleting behavior? Very bad,
IMHO.