[P1] Safari Web Browser

Allan Hise allan at hise.org
Wed Jan 8 16:19:35 PST 2003

On Wed, 8 Jan 2003, David Linker wrote:

> Two questions.
>
> Does anyone know what the differences are from XDarwin, and what window
> manager is used?

XDarwin uses the Xfree86 open source version of X11 while Apple's uses
their own implementation. X11 has open specifications, so if you have an X
implementation installed, you should be able to complile a program that
calls X11 functions.

Apple's implementation is a bit faster, I think, than Xfree86's. Makes
sense, Apple can put the hooks in to optimize the library to their
hardware.

Looking at ps, my guess is that it is the "quartz-wm". You can probably
use others, but I haven't tried.

> The other is that I downloaded and installed, but cannot find an
> appliction, and don't see any instructions on how to start X11.

/Applications/X11 on my install.