[P1] iPhoto library max size ?

Mark ibooklist at helpmymac.com
Sun Jan 12 13:57:23 PST 2003

david on 1/12/03 9:19 AM wrote:

>> Has anyone heard if there is a maximum number of photos that iPhoto can deal
>> with ? I already got it filled up with over 2500 pics (after roughly 3
>> months) and I sometimes think iPhoto gets mad at me ... It acts slow,
>> crashes from time to time (even a regular "quit" can take 5 minutes)
>>
>> I hope that this will be fixed with iPhoto 2 but it will take a while till I
>> get that one ...
>>
> I can't believe you are using iPhoto with that many photos - even my desktop
> balks at that many. I'm using a utility (can't think of the name of it, do
> an iPhoto search at versiontracker.com) that lets me keep multiple libraries
> and switch between them. Luckily my photos are easily broken down into
> groups that don't overlap.

Ahhh, that would explain why iPhoto has gotten so pokey for me! I've got
just over 2300 images. I figured it might be some other problem. That or my
pitifully slow 500MHz processor (by current standards and as of MacWorld). I
just haven't had time to look into why it had gotten so slow.

I'm going to go check for this utility you mention. Is it something that
would allow me to store a library on an external FW drive?

-Mark