[P1] Clamshell Rev A. Limits? True limits.

paulatx1 at aol.com paulatx1 at aol.com
Mon Jan 13 20:47:15 PST 2003

In a message dated 1/13/2003 10:42:07 PM Eastern Standard Time, erikgil at metagrafix.com writes:

> Do you folks see the actual speed boost on any bench tests?  Is it a
> seat of pants thing?  I need to get more ram in there but
> do not want
> to waste money.

   I did not have any tests  to benchmark speed differences  other than  my own observations.  How long did it take to boot; how long to launch Pagemaker; how long to render monster graphic; how long to modify said monster graphic.  It was, to my mind, NOTICABLY faster.    I dont' understand exactly what a server does,  so I can't even guess if upping your ram would give you as much a speed bump as it gave me.   But you would basically be doubling your ram.  If you are using Jaguar,  Jaguar loves  more ram.
    As for price,  the regular low profile 512 meg ram chip is considerably less than a hundred dollars.  I went for low power since I often run off battery power in the library and outside.  If you are hooked up to electricity instead of running off battery    then there is probably no advantage to buying the low power consumption low profile chip.
      Just make sure you buy a good, quality chip (translation: deal with a reputable company).
               Paula Rutledge