[P1] new ibook user

Jack Rodgers jackrodgers at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 15 04:42:57 PST 2003

On Wednesday, January 15, 2003, at 07:19  AM, J. Brenning wrote:

> Is it okay to move a laptop while you're using it? I've always known
> not to move a cpu while it's on, but it seems, at least partly, the
> point of a laptop is the portability -- even while it's running. But
> what's to stop the harddrive from crashing? What about traveling in a
> car on a not-so-smooth road?

I have never experienced nor heard of anyone having a problem moving a
running book. Of course you don't want to bang it against something and
many of us have a book running on our car seat. Hard drives can
withstand a certain g force, which I don't remember. Use some
discretion.

> Also, when she turns on her laptop and looks at the screen, there are
> file folders showing. Is this the equivalent of the PC's desktop? If
> so, how do you file these folder to get them off the desktop and on as
> shortcuts?

Depends upon the OS you use. In Mac OS 9 you can create a folder in the
Apple Menu Items folder in the System folder and fill it with folders
and aliases or you can drag an alias of a folder into it. In OS X you
can place an alias into the Favorites folder and access it under the Go
menu in the Finder or use the suggested hot key to open the favorites
folder, you can open a file or appl under the Apple menu using the
Recent item or you can drag the object onto the Dock, which soon fills
up.

> Another thing is that when she downloads a program it seems to
> automatically unzip and install. Is this normal or is it because of
> the way something is set up?

Your browser has an toggle option for 'unstuff'.

---

Email: jackrodgers at earthlink.net
Web:  www.jackrodgers.com
iCal:  coming soon