[P1] Which PC based laptop is comparable to the iBook ??

david davidwb at spymac.com
Sun Jan 19 13:37:50 PST 2003

On 1/19/03 12:09 PM, "Peter Nacken" <caipirina at mac.com> wrote:

> Hello again ..
>
> I think I want my next PC to be a laptop .. I need at least one PC based
> system for my work ... I saw this weekend a guy having a small 12" toshiba
> . And I just came across a website for a 12" thinkpad ... I am not a friend
> of big laptops (it is a bit like "hey, we invented the biggest microchip
> ever") .. So 12" is great with me ...
>
> Any recommendation as to what is a good solution ? All I need is a big HD, a
> cd burner, modem and ethernet .. That is pretty much it ..

Well, I can tell you from personal and professional experience to avoid Dell
or Gateway. At the start of the school year we decided to go with Gateway
notebooks as a result of the really poor serviceability of Dell notebooks
and extricable technical support. While Gateway has bent over backwards to
solve our notebook problems, the fact remains that at no time have we been
able to field a full 25 computer mobile lab. So much for deciding to
standardize on PCs. Meanwhile, I can¹t say if I got a lemon or not, but the
Compaq that I was given has gone through three CD burners since the
beginning of the year. And, the darn floppy drive gave out last week.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by frost.

davidwb at spymac.com