iBook/Powerbook cover questions

ILLUMINALL at aol.com ILLUMINALL at aol.com
Mon Jan 20 08:25:27 PST 2003

Hello  y'all!  (Can you tell I'm from Texas?  LOL)

I purchased a new 12.1 iBook this past August, and I could not find the kind
of protective case/covering that I was envisioning and wanting for it... so I
modified something that I purchased at an office supply store, and created
exactly what I was wanting for my iBook. Not only was I impressed with how
well it turned out, but everyone who has seen it has told me they thought it
had great market potential!

So I'm preparing to contact the company whose product I modified, in hopes
that they will consider licensing and manufacturing this laptop case/cover --
not just for the iBooks, but also the TiBooks, and Apple’s newest line of
Powerbook G4’s just announced. (Sorry that I can't be more descriptive of
this product’s features and design, but you can be sure that if and when I
get a company to begin production and marketing, I will be letting y'all know
about it!)

Anyway, here is the reason I'm posting to the list: I'm wanting to do some
research on the size of the iBook/TiBook/newPowerbook market(s) -- so that I
have some credible figures to present to this company (who is likely not
aware of how large the Apple iBook/Powerbook customer base is). So I'm hoping
that some of you can point me to online resources and/or contact persons that
would have the answers to the questions I’ve listed below -- or who could at
least guide me in the right direction for gathering this information.

What is the size of the 12.1 and 14.1 ibook owner base (U.S. and global) -- h
ow many have been sold? What are the iBook niche or target market(s), i.e.
education, etc.?

For instance in the education market, last Fall the state of Maine began
providing iBooks to every seventh-grader in the state (18,000 of them). Does
anyone know if any other state or school system is doing this kind of thing?

What is the size of the Titanium Powerbook owner base (U.S. and global).
Numbers sold thus far? what are the TiBook niche or target markets?

Are there any projections of the sales expected for the new G4 Powerbooks, by
screen size?  And is their marketing aimed at any particular niche?

Are there any legalities and/or trademarks preventing use of  the letter “i”
before a product name that is especially/specifically designed and produces
to be an Apple computer accessory?

Is there anything that you think of that I may want to research and/or
prepare prior to making this presentation to this company? I have read
several books on invention and idea licensing and presentation, and do not fe
el that this particular design of mine is patentable. I may be seeking an
idea/invention marketing agent to assist me with the presentations and
proposals.

I've been an Apple computer user since the days of my ownership of an Apple
Lisa in 1987. And since becoming a member of this list prior to purchasing my
iBook, I've appreciated the breadth and depth of knowledge that this list
membership offers. Thank you in advance for any time and effort you may bring
to considering and answering my questions!

Ken Johnston
Heartworks, Inc
Dallas, TX USA
972-271-1313