[P1] Problems? with iBook 700mhz and OS10.2.3

Basil Bourque basilbourque at mac.com
Wed Jan 22 01:12:58 PST 2003

> I've seen references to batteries in approximately mid-2002
> iBooks going bad, & I just had mine replaced at the local
> Apple Store.  They sounded lke they were replacing a fair
> number of them.  1st try resetting Power Manager and PRAM
> and see if problem remains.

Yes, indeed, my iBook (700MHz) had this problem. The battery itself
would not last for a full charge. It would indicate lots of juice was
left, but then would prematurely go to sleep without warning. After
sleeping for a little while (several minutes or longer), the iBook
would konk out with no juice left. I did not even know the battery icon
in the menu was supposed to give a red warning since the battery would
act goofy before it was legitimately depleted.

Resetting the Power Manager and zapping the PRAM had no effect, nor did
a cold shutdown. The diagnosis was simple: I swapped batteries with a
friend. He got the power problems while mine went away. Apple replaced
the battery, and the problems are gone.

I was using pre-Jaguar version of Mac OS. The Mac OS version was not a
contributing factor in my case.

--Basil Bourque