How Often Does Jag need a reinstall?

Charles Martin chasm at mac.com
Wed Jan 22 12:58:07 PST 2003

> From: Pat D. Stephens <patdart at cox-internet.com>
>
> I'm using my month old iBook just as it came to me without a
> partitioned drive, but am warned that it is dangerous to do that since
> X has reputedly required a reinstall frequently.

Now come on Pat, use your head. If it were "dangerous," would Apple do
it by default??

You're being fed a line of BS by someone.

> What's
> the lists' experience here on this topic?

I've been running OS X on multiple machines since before the public
beta. No reinstalls at all EVER. That's over three years with no
reinstall. I run fsck every once in a while, Disk Utility's Repair
Permissions about once a month, and Disk Warrior/Plus Optimizer about
three times a year. Although I do regular backups, I've not had any
need for them in years.

There are specific instances that I can think of where partitioning
would be a great idea. But "general use" isn't one of them and I see no
advantage at all in partitioning, and LOTS of problems resulting from
partitioning. For 95% of Mac users this is simply not an issue -- leave
the machine's setup the way Apple set it! A little preventative
maintenance and regular backups are all you need to have a healthy,
happy machine for years to come (assuming there is no mechanical
failure or defect).

_Chas_
Come to  ... The CHASbah!
http://thechasbah.blogspot.com

**Go see BOWLING FOR COLUMBINE. It may change your life.**