[P1] iBook won't recognize keyboard commands at startup.

William L Carr Jkirk3279 at beanstalk.net
Wed Jan 22 17:20:38 PST 2003

On Wednesday, January 22, 2003, at 07:05  PM, The Weber's wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I'm working on 20 iBooks (Rev. C Graphite,
> 466Mhz/128MB/10GB/DVD/Airport) for the High School that I Graduated
> From.  They were pretty messed up buy the students so I'm in the
> process
> formatting all of them and putting a nice fresh copy of Mac OS 9.2.2 on
> them (Multiple Users enabled so the can mess them up again ;)).
> Anyway,
> the first thing that I have been doing to all of them when I turn them
> on for the first time is to reset the PRAM.  Here's the problem, on
> about 5 of them now, I go to reset the PRAM (power on, hold down
> Command-Option-P-R before any thing comes up on the screen) and it just
> boots like I didn't hold anything down.  Holding down just option to
> get
> a list of Bootable devices doesn't work, nor does holding down the C
> key
> to boot from a CD.  Any ideas why these few stubborn iBooks aren't
> accepting my Key-Combinations?  ClrlCommand-Reset Button does work
> though :S
>
> Any advice is more than welcome.
>
> T. J.

First, get a USB keyboard, connect it to the iBook, and try the PRAM
reset using it.   Maybe the keyboard in the iBook has the Num Lock on.

Jkirk

PS ~ all the keys in question work fine when the computers are bootedI
once thought about starting a club to discuss the philosophy of
Fatalism.
But then I realized that even if anyone came, they'd only come to steal
the folding chairs.