[P1] Fix_prebinding is crashing on start

Richard McKay richard.mckay1 at virgin.net
Sat Jan 25 00:01:07 PST 2003

Meg,

I have seen this problem on other lists recently, below is the fix that was
posted.

HTH,

Richard
--

Meg St. Clair wrote the following:

> The last couple of times I've started up my iBook, I've gotten a crash log
> which indicates that fix_prebinding has crashed. I know that 10.2.3 is
> supposed to handle fixing prebinding automatically. Should I be concerned
> about this? How do I handle it? Any suggestions?

fix that was posted (slightly edited):

prebinding is like a link between the different libraries on the
system. It permits the applications to be launched quickly and
efficiency. If you install new software on your computer you might
need to do an update prebinding (you can find out more information about
this if you look at man update_prebinding in the terminal).

You can try to fix this yourself by doing the following in an admin users
account in terminal...

Go in the terminal and type :
cd /                                (press return)
sudo update_prebinding -root /      (press return)

(when the system asks you for a password type the password you used to log
in to that admin users account)

The system will do an update prebinding to relink the libraries and the
executables.

It might be a good idea to run repair privileges afterwards as especially
after installation of new items, some installers can mess up your system.

Cheers,

Richard