[P1] internet and email problems after waking up from sleep

Richard McKay richard.mckay1 at virgin.net
Mon Jan 27 14:46:50 PST 2003

George Slusher wrote:

> Talk to your ISP. There is a problem with the Mac TCP/IP software (at
> least in OS 9 & earlier--I don't know if it affects OS X) where it won't
> track something that the ISP changes dynamically every so often. (I can't
> remember the right acronym or terminology--perhaps one of our experts
> here will know.) The symptoms can strike even while connected: suddenly,
> I can't get to any web page or email box. The Mac cannot find the ISP's
> domain name server (DNS). The solution is to either restart or
> disconnect, quit all communications programs, then make a change to the
> TCP/IP settings and then change them back.

Thanks for the input George, I can always get it to work again after a
restart but this is a rather ugly fix...I would love to be able to run the
Book all the time without rebooting if possible as it would be great to show
some of the *Mordor* crowd that unix can look great, run forever and have
all the power and programs they could handle but it seems defeat to have to
reboot to sort a bug out...but your idea of settings being stuck is
interesting...I will have to play with some of the daemons and see if
starting and stoping them after sleep will help the problem...

Thanks,

Richard