[P1] Question...Quicken?

Zachary Heaton zheaton at ameritech.net
Wed Jan 29 19:01:50 PST 2003

On Wednesday, Jan 29, 2003, at 21:06 Canada/Eastern, Pat D. Stephens
wrote:

> Does anyone have a program that writes checks and does a simple
> program that will keep up with balance and will use checks that
> Quicken does?  I don't want the fine features that Quicken has added
> and need a checkbook program that will do my Quicken simple functions
> and use up my Quicken checks, or I'll forever be tied to 9.1.  I loved
> it until they took away the easy reconcile feature years back and
> started adding online banking functions that I don't use.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Pat

If you're feeling adventurous and enjoy working with X11, there's
always GnuCash.  It's currently an unstable Fink package, and will
compile with a little coaxing.  (Typically, its a matter of reading the
error messages and figuring out what other packages you need to install
first.  Or at least, that's what it was for me.)  It's not as pretty as
Quicken, but it gets the job done.  And, aside from ISP time to
download the thing, it's free.

<http://fink.sourceforge.net/pdb/package.php/gnucash>

Regards,
Zach Heaton