Okay, you music freaks...

Romain Kang romain at kzsu.stanford.edu
Thu Jan 30 14:49:15 PST 2003

On Thu, Jan 30, 2003 at 05:30:30PM -0500, wes wrote:
> my understanding is that they are the same cds (in-brand of course).
> the ones branded 'music' have a built-in additional fee paid to the
> recording industry.

Yep, the RIAA tax, as some people call it.  If you have a standalone
CD audio recorder (as opposed to one attached to a computer), then
it's supposed to require RIAA-blessed copies to record, even if you're
using it to record your own original music.  (Bet you'd like to get
your fair share from the RIAA, wouldn't you?)

Personally, I'd rather give money to beggars in the streets than
subsidize the big media conglomerates by using music CD-Rs for data.

Romain Kang                             Disclaimer: I speak for myself alone,
romain at kzsu.stanford.edu                except when indicated otherwise.