[P1] new ibooks... any better re warping & screen marks??

david davidwb at spymac.com
Sat Jul 5 10:33:49 PDT 2003

On Saturday, July 5, 2003, at 10:41  AM, Jo wrote:

>>  my screen since - but I did at first.
>>
>> Pick the model you want, be sure to add more memory, and go for it.
>
> Yes, I will definitely up the memory. I have an interesting note to
> add in that I recently boosted the memory on my older desktop iMac-- I
> installed 512 MB (from the reputable "Crucial" ... the memory company
> Apple uses, I'm told). Installation went without a hitch, was
> recognized, etc. But, afterwards I found some apps had slowed down
> (when saving or closing them)! I boosted the memory allocated to the
> apps, even reinstalled the software for those apps, ran diskwarrior,
> and so on... but still a noticeable slowdown when backing up or
> shutting down the *data-heavy* apps. By this, I mean it is 2 to 3
> times slower than before I installed the extra memory!
>
> Would this have happened if Apple had installed the memory on a
> brand-new, pristine machine? I'm wondering if I should do my own
> memory upgrade with the new ibook I plan to buy, or order it to come
> pre-installed from Apple (it costs a lot more to have Apple do this
> simple job, but if it means I won't have the slow-down problem, it
> would be worth it!)
>
> And, thanks for the info on printers, folks!

Strange - adding memory might make a noticeable difference in the
computer's startup time (more memory means a longer memory check) but
shouldn't have any affect on program speed.

Hmmm...you are using OS 9 because you noted that you increased the
memory allocation. Increasing the memory of the computer means that
your virtual memory allocation may have increased...how much unused
hard drive space do you have? The only thing I can think of that would
result in slower saves is that your drive space is getting limited and
the space left is quite fragmented.

This is not usual behavior.

Good qualities are easier to destroy than bad ones, and therefore
uniformity is most easily achieved by lowering all standards.
  ~~ Bertrand Russell

David