CD won't close

Eric B. Richardson lbyron at comcast.net
Sun Jul 6 05:43:51 PDT 2003

I have a snow 500, and a minor bump jolted the CD drive open and now
it won't stay closed. If I hold it closed the CD mechanism will work
just fine.

I have AppleCare for it, but Apple refuses to fix it, and will only
replace it, last told they want $430 to replace a CD-ROM on a
computer that I only paid $900 for, not counting the $200 I spent for
the AppleCare. I can replace it with a CD-RW for less than half that,
almost a third, less than $200. Seems like there is probably a 50
cent piece of plastic that misaligned or broke.

Does anyone have any suggestions before I send it for replacement?

Meanwhile one of the little rubber feet ran away. I remember this
discussion sometime ago about how to get replacements. Can anyone
refresh my memory?