[P1] new ibooks... any better re warping & screen marks??

e.mkeene e.mkeene at wap.org
Mon Jul 7 01:24:15 PDT 2003

> I'm almost ready to buy a new iBook. Are there any models--the newest
> ones, perhaps??--that don't have the problems mentioned with warping
> and/or screen marks?

I have listened to all the discussion on this list about these two
issues and finally dedicded to share the results of my research,
opinions and experience.

Everything about the iBook is as small, as thin and as lightweight as
possible. Everything about the iBook is carefully designed to be as
stylish as possible and to let the mechanical stuff be as invisible as
possible. There are some consequences with all these restrictions.

1. Warp issue—in line with keeping the mechanics invisible, we have the
matter of the latch. I suspect space problems required the redesign of
the hinge and latch. The Clamshell was my favorite but I'm sure it took
more room to make it work successfully. The design of the TiBook hinge
(which preceeded the iBook) was  discarded because of some design flaws
with it and because of the smaller size of the iBook. The ibook hinge
gives us full use of the screen and a sense of roominess that we would
not get if the screen sat on top of the keyboard and it would also mean
we might have to give up the speakers or put up with less ones.

With the matter out of the way, there is till how do we firmly close
the thing and make sure that it signals the processor to go to sleep?
The pre TiBook and iBook generations had a very firm, large, "normal"
metal tongue and latch device. They also had much thicker, heavier and
metal enclosures and frames. Once the die was cast, the edge was true
(pardon the die pun). The iBook didn't have any of these options so a
new design was needed and it was kept in line with the rest of the
"lightness " of the ibook design.

A tiny, firm piece of metal (tongue) fits into the latch and locks in
place. So far just like the old PBs. But they had the tongue
permanently protruding and visible, The iBook tongue is invisible when
the lid is open. As it closes, gravity gently eases the tongue out and
down, When it gets close to the latch slot, a magnet gently eases it
down and "sucks" it into the latch securing it and closing the circuit
to be sure the cpu stays asleep.

Obviously, the lid weighs more than the little tongue and the magnet
maintains a certain amount of tension on the tongue to keep it securely
latched. The lid exerts a slight weight tension in the direction of
"open" and the magnet exerts an opposing tension towards keeping it
closed—balance and counter balanced, opposing and counteropposing
forces. Except the weight of the lid wins a tiny bit more in this
contest because the tongue is in the middle and there are no equalizing
forces or latches to hold in the weight on the free edges. Voila! a
slight variation between the  air space at the edge and in the middle.
Optical illusion further magnifies the difference and makes it look
like warping. If you put a level on all edges of the lid, there is no
warpage. They are still true.

2. The close tolerance and spacing between the lid and the keyboard
creates another problem—The screen bezel rests on the keys. This
actually is two problems. Oil marks on the screen and scratch marks on
the bezel.

When you use the keyboard, the keys pick up a thin film of whatever is
on your fingers and there will always be a thin film of oil on even the
squeekiest clean fingers. If you are like me and many other computer
users, you drink and eat around your computer and you never wash your
hands each and every time you plan to use the keyboard.

When the lid is closed, all this grime and oil transfers to the screen
if the lid closes really tight and there is NO AIR SPACE AT THE EDGES
to keep a margin of separation between the keys and the screen and
bezel.

Screen Marks Solution: Pick your choice
1. Wash your hands each time you are using the keyboard and do not
touch anything but the keyboard without re-washing.  Not practical and
nobody would do it.

2. Clean the keyboard everytime it is used and just before closing the
lid (each time the lid is closed even for a few seconds), Better but
who would remember to do it for the few seconds the lid is closed to
sleep it while you get the phone or similar tasks?

3.Clean the keyboard everytime it is used AND use a CLEAN intervening
material between the screen and the keyboard—BEST SOLUTION but also not
always practical or remembered.

4. BEST COMPROMISE—Keep a CLEAN material handy to put on the keyboard
EVERY TIME you close the computer.

Bezel Scratches Solution:
Placing material on the keyboard large enough to cover the entire
surface prevents the bezel and keys from contacting and scratching each
other.

Wash the material frequently in a non oily soap and don't use and
fabric softners on it, they may contain a light oily substance that is
transferred to the material. Many of the commercial products sold are
made from a specially processed leather which is great as far as it
goes. The problem is the leather gets thrown around and handled and
never washed so it will eventually pick up enough oils or substances to
stain or etch the screen.

The company that makes the screen cleaner for Apple also makes
disposable cleaning cloths that can be used as screen protectors also.
They als make a microfiber cloth that can be used as a cleaning or
protecting material. It is also washable so it can be kept oil and soil
free. There are also other companies that make similar items. In a
pinch a very soft paper towel or clean sheet of paper will solve the
problem. The piece of foam that was on the keyboard when you opened the
box is an excellent  option if you wash it frequently.

One final caveat from personal experience:
When you pack your laptop (any and ALL kinds of laptops) in a case,
NEVER pack irregular shaped objects next to the screen. Always pack
something firm and flat next to the screen, ie, a magazine, a legal
pad, etc. Never over pack the case. If you place a hub, a
surgeprotector, a mouse, etc next to the screen and then you also
overpack the bag, it becomes possible for the irregular shape to press
unevenly on the screen and break the TFT layer—expensive repair.

I lucked out and even though I had overpacked because I made sure no
objects could create pressure points, I didn't have any problems. A
friend of mine on the same trip wasn't as lucky and lost his screen.

If you already have indelible screen marks and they interfere with
your use of the ibook, MacResQ.com has perfected a method of removing
the polarizer layer which contains the stains and then restoring the
polarizer for $299 which includes shipping costs.