[P1] new ibooks... any better re warping & screen marks??

Fran Dollinger fran at dollingers.com
Tue Jul 8 09:43:28 PDT 2003

This is not to flame anyone with legitimate concerns/issues as I am sure
they exist. I just try not to add non-crucial programs which could
affect function and use Cocktail, and other utilities, on the
aforementioned basis. I have lurked on this list for a long time and
just wanted to share. Apple engineers great, not perfect, hardware and
software. It is up to us to be judicious in how we treat the hardware,
what additions/subtractions we make to said hardware/software and our
dedication to regular preventative maintenance.

I, for one, am very glad to hear from people who have not experienced
the problem side of Apple products...believe me when I say that I really
wish I was one of them. You seem to have the impression though, that
those of us with hardware or software problems are somehow responsible
for our problems by adding software or other hardware that seem to
create these glitches. FYI: my experience so far with new iBooks has
been just the opposite of yours. I have not added nor taken away from
the original software because of wanting to make sure the problems that
came up would not/could not be attributable to this assumption. My new
800MHz was just sent back because of a battery seating problem. The
original battery died for no apparent reason after only 2 weeks of
receiving this brand new iBook. The first battery that were sent as a
replacement could not be seated and locked into place neither could the
second battery that was sent to me. This 800MHz iBook was a replacement
for a brand new (not refurbished) 600MHz that crashed repeatedly from
day one in OS 10.2.4 and in OS 9.2.2. (and that wasn't the only problem)
OK, so, I do have Murphys in my family tree...back a few
generations...but really! This has gone way beyond any sane definition
of coincidence, to me anyway. I am back to using my trusty 7300 G3/400
and I'm seriously considering selling the 800MHz when it is returned. I
will really miss several of the OS X components but maybe I'll just wait
on them until I can afford a Powerbook G4 w/ Panther pre-installed.
Thanks for letting me share,

Fran

--
Kindness is more important than wisdom, and the recognition of this is the beginning of wisdom.
--Theodore Isaac Rubin