[P1] new ibooks... any better re warping & screen marks??

Jack Rodgers jackrodgers at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 8 12:35:14 PDT 2003

On Tuesday, July 8, 2003, at 02:20  PM, Tom R. no spam wrote:

> FWIW, the FileMakerPro Server application, which recommends
> not having any other applications running on the same computer,
> also recommends having virtual memory turned off, and
> recommends an optimum size of memory allocation.  And various
> reports of individuals' experiences seem to support these
> recommendations.  A possibly interesting bit of trivia.

Correct at least with Server 5. X may be different but I am not running
it and from what I hear there are problems.

I believe the best Get Info Ram allotment is 25 Megs. TCP should be
used. Filesharing turned off since Filemaker Server handles its own
business. Virtual memory off.

The main problem is that Filemaker server slows to an absolute crawl
when the Server windows are not the top windows. Just clicking on the
desktop is enough to grind the server to a crawl. Filemaker Server 5
does not run well in the background.

It seems rather odd to dedicate one g4 tower with three 140 gig drives
to running 400 megabytes of databases but those were the only available
add in drives and were really cheap.

Also, don't put it on a server, just a plain vanilla tower.

---
The US Government is mailing 13 Billion dollars of tax credits to US
Citizens to spend buying goods from Communist China. How does sending
all of this money out of the country improve our economy?
<http://www.JackRodgers.com>

JackRodgers at earthlink.net