OT: Software Licensing

david davidwb at spymac.com
Wed Jul 9 11:27:17 PDT 2003

Well, I labeled this offtopic but it isn't entirely. I've come across a
situation that has me ticked off and started me thinking...

Monday I installed Canvas 9 on a client's computer and realized it now uses
a form of serial number activation system similar to Microsoft's. Once
installed on a computer, that serial number is no longer any good. Now I've
been a Canvas user myself since version 3 so I wondered how Deneba (now ACD
Systems) was going to deal with notebook/desktop owners.

I've owned PowerBooks since the day Apple released the PB 140 and most
software vendors quickly adapted their licenses allowing notebook owners to
install the software on both a desktop and a notebook. Usually the license
prohibited running the software on both computers at the same time. Other
companies developed network aware serialization and permitted multiple
installations but kept the software from running on more than one computer.

I emailed the company explaining that I have Canvas installed on my iBook
and desktop and generally start work on a document on my iBook and complete
the job on my desktop before printing. I wanted to know if the company had
taken notebook owners into consideration when they created this activation
scheme and if so, what it was. I didn't receive a direct answer. Instead, I
was told that by having Canvas 8 installed on two computers, I was in
violation of the license. Get it off one of the computers. As I said, no
direct answer, but an answer anyway. ACD Systems expects me to buy two
copies of Canvas 9 for both computers even though I only use one Canvas at a
time.

I don't think so. In fact, I'm not going to update to Canvas 9 at all and
I'm now looking for a replacement. I intend to find a competitor's product
(if possible) especially if the competitor understands that notebook users
have special needs. Then I intend to inform ACD that a formerly happy
customer has been lost. And why that customer was lost.

I know lots of us on the list own a desktop as well as an iBook. Adobe has
announced that it will be using product activation soon too. Others will
follow. Thus far vendors are so intent on catching pirates that they don't
see how many multiple computer homes there are. They seem to think we should
be buying multiple copies of software. In some cases that might be
justifiable, but not in all cases. If we don't start speaking up now, the
cost of computer ownership is going to get much higher.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by frost.

davidwb at spymac.com