[P1] OT: Software Licensing

Jack Rodgers jackrodgers at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 10 05:55:31 PDT 2003

> "The reason Mac people tend to steal LESS than our Windows brethren is
> quite simple, really -- we tend to actually create THINGS OF VALUE
> with our machines, so we learn to appreciate the concept of being paid
> for our efforts, and since we often picture most Mac developers as
> people more or less like us, we extend that principle to them as we
> would a friend or colleague. PC users, on the other hand, see only a
> sea of faceless, soulless, greedy corporations ... it's much easier to
> 'steal' from 'entities' than it is from 'folks.'"

I design databases and do consulting and installations of software.
When approached for a free copy I always kindly state that I cannot
give away software since it would cause my clients to doubt my ability
to protect their interests. I also require any client to purchase the
software I install, usually through mail order or local. I don't sell
software or hardware so there is no conflict of interest. If I see that
a potential client is a pirate or violates others copyrights, something
that happens in the printing industry, I won't accept them as a client.

---
Watch George Bush spring into action on 9-11.
<http://www.thememoryhole.org/911/bush-911.htm>

JackRodgers at earthlink.net
http://www.JackRodgers.com
http://www.LobateLacScale.com