[P1] Trying to burn

Gary D. Adams gdadams1 at cox.net
Thu Jul 10 13:13:44 PDT 2003

We did some research and found out that you can indeed create
multi-session CD in OS X. The only catch is you’ll have to create the
first session in Disk Copy, and not in Finder as claimed. In a nutshell,
Disk Copy does not “close” a CD after a burn. It leaves the CD open for
subsequent burn, and hence you can append new sessions to the CD until
the CD’s capacity is full. Finder, on the other hand, will close the CD
after it burns the content. Once it’s closed, you simply cannot append
any more regardless of whether there’s empty space left behind.

Let’s go through the steps to create a two sessions CD. First, you’ll
have to create a .dmg file and mount the resulting image on your
desktop. To do so, launch Disk Copy and select the “New Blank Image”
option from the “Image” menu. Set the size of the image file to your
requirement, give it a Volume Name and save it. We saved it as “CD No.
1” in our illustration. The image will then mount on your desktop. Now
you can drop files into the mounted image file. When you’re done, eject
the image. Now you’re ready to burn the .dmg file. Go back to Disk Copy
and select “Burn Image” from the “Image” menu. Use the navigator to
select the “CD No. 1.dmg” file and click “Burn”. You should have your
first session CD shortly.