[P1] OT: Software Licensing

Larry Kollar kollar at alltel.net
Fri Jul 11 18:39:53 PDT 2003

Jack Rodgers wrote:

>> The upshot is: if you're willing to be flexible & do a little
>> learning, you can replace a *lot* of commercial titles with Free
>> software.
>
> Thanks for your explanation. However, I don't think 'free' is really
> that free based on your description as I would have to do too much
> work to get it to work and I absolutely despise command lines. I could
> spend the time required to do the above earning money, buy commercial
> software and be ahead a few bucks...

Point taken, but IMHO you're limiting your options. Many businesses
have essential processes running on home-grown (or "customized" if you
prefer a more dignified term) software. Indeed, one reason Quark became
such a fixture in print shops was that it's easily customized using
AppleScript. Many of those companies have entire workflows built around
their scripts, and consider it a competitive advantage.

--
Larry Kollar    k  o  l  l  a  r  @  a  l  l  t  e  l  .  n  e  t
"The hardest part of all this is the part that requires thinking."