[P1] DVD region codes?

e.mkeene e.mkeene at wap.org
Tue Jul 15 02:03:05 PDT 2003

> Do content-providers really, truly believe the audience will buy
> multiples
> of CDs/DVDs depending on where they want to play it?

Please understand up front, I am in no way agreeing with or condoning
the DVD region situation, however, there may be one good reason for
this from a legal standpoint. The International rules on copyright
differ from the USA's . They are supposedly less capable of protecting
intellectual property. My understanding is that Germany is especially
egregious in not protecting the ARTISTs and if anything goes to court
internationally, the artist stands to lose much more than he would in
the US. Therefore part of the need for the region is to add "beef"
specifically to protect the artist's copyright.

Having said that, I must add that the production companies didn't get
upset by this because they stood to possibly gain more income if people
did buy multiple copies.